Friday, June 19, 2009

Happy Father's Day

As I prepare to celebrate my 16th Father's Day as a dad and my 19th Father's Day without a dad, I came across this note. I had found this article taped inside one of my dad's bibles when we were going through his belongings shortly after his death in April of 1991. Boy, does that seem like a long time ago?

Here is the article.

BEYOND DEATH
"But we know that we shall see Him" (1 John 3:2)

A sick man turned to his doctor who was leaving the room after paying a visit, and said, "Doctor, I am afraid to die. Tell me what lies on the other side."

Very quietly the doctor said, "I do not know."

"You don't know? You, a Christian man, do not know what is on the other side!"

The doctor was holding the handle of the door, on the other side of which came sounds of scratching and whining, and as he opened the door a dog sprang into the room and leaped on him with eager show of gladness.

Turning to the patient, the doctor, said, "Did you notice that dog? He had never been in this room before. He did not know what was inside. He knew nothing except that his master was here, and when the door was opened he sprang in without fear. I know little of what is on the other side of death, but I do know one thing. I know my Master is there, and that is enough. And when the door opens, I shall pass through with no fear, but with gladness."

--Unknown


As I read this note, I realized, the legacy my dad left me was not wealth or possessions, but a solid and everlasting faith in that which is truly important. My prayer is that my legacy to my children is equally as solid and everlasting.

If you still have your dad with you, I hope you can spend some time with him on Sunday. If he's passed from this life, I hope you take time to honor him in some small way by treasuring the legacy he left for you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ed,

    I love this post. I think the story you found in your dad's Bible is a great reminder of the solace God offers us on Earth and what waits for us in Heaven.

    Thanks for visiting my living-in-the-sandwich-generation site and commenting on my posts.

    Having my mother in our house is a blessing in so many ways. Just knowing she's taken care of is worth it. But there are times when I wonder what exactly it is God wants me to learn!

    I hope you'll post more about the time your mother was with you and what your kids gained from having her in their home during such important developmental times.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete